Wednesday 4 September 2013

Emmy Deliberation ~ Lead Actress

It is obvious that the Emmy people really like Connie Britton because in the past four years she has been nominated for three different shows. Twice for Friday Night Lights, once for the first season of American Horror Story, and now, this year, for the freshman year of Nashville. Throughout the year, she has always pulled it off on the show, as she has on FNL and AHS beforehand, but as with her past four nominations, I feel that the competition is simply too strong to have her win this year, especially on the show's first year. But this leads me to wonder when they will award Britton for her great work on T.V., or even if.

Claire Danes has really became the obvious frontrunner this year since she won last year for Homeland. Nominated again, Danes is arguably an even bigger Emmys darling than Britton is. When she was 16, she was nominated for "My So-Called Life" and won not too long ago for portrayal the titular role in "Temple Grandin". I would've said this year that Julianna Margulies is her biggest competition, but with her name vetoed off the list, I think that she is way out in front with no contender in sight.

...or is she? Remember any one of these ladies, including Michelle Dockery could pull a big "Jon Cryer"-esque shockeroo on us. Dockery is again nominated for Downton Abbey. While a lot of people don't think that she'll win, I have actually really liked her on the show from Day 1. I feel that if she does win, we may be staring down the barrel of a Downton sweep. While I suspect that this could happen, I don't think that Dockery has enough to beat out Danes at this moment.

Vera Farmiga broke through the genre bias and got a win for the pilot episode of Bates Motel, playing Norman Bates' mother Norma. Farmiga is a bit of a queen of thriller movies and series, what with The Conjuring being a bit of a success story at the box office and by critics this year. With this kind of obscure nomination here, I feel that it could potentially spoil. Lots of people are saying that Farmiga could be the dark horse in the competition, and in all honesty, I could that it could happen.

Mad Men is not the boat to be in at this point, and sadly Elisabeth Moss is in it this year. The anomaly of the show winning four years in a row for Drama Series but not one actor ever winning any acting nomination is mind-boggling. Moss is as appealing as ever on the show, as is the other "Mad Women" on the show, and unless some major sea change occurs in the predictions, I don't see Moss winning, even though she is obviously the most deserving of any of the seven women.

Scandal isn't my cup of tea, and I have made no secret of my disdain for Kerry Washington as an actress. I did have my doubts at the predicting stage, but now I fully think that Washington could steal the award away. I guess that I do kinda sorta owe Washington an apology for doubting her, but she is good on the show, and if the Emmys feel strongly enough for the show, then while her win would be disappointing, it would also be understandable.

Robin Wright Penn is a movie star turned T.V. star with her playing Kevin Spacey's wife in House of Cards. She is a delight on House of Cards, and other than Spacey himself, the best part of the show. I think that she could upset if the show manages to survive for a few more years, but at this point, Wright should just be content with the nomination.

Will Win/Should Win: Claire Danes
Could Win: Kerry Washington, Vera Farmiga
Should Have Been Nominated: Julianna Margulies



Nominated for the final year of Enlightened, Laura Dern has always been great on the show. It's a shame that she hasn't been honored in the other years of Enlightened, but Dern's nomination is certainly intriguing here. I keep close watch on these "surprise" nominations, which could potientally turn into "surprise" wins. Dern faces big competition, but she could pull it off.

Lena Dunham was the it-girl last year. Her show Girls, in my mind, broke ground and pushed the envelope, even by HBO standards. Now the show is just meh according to the general public (not to me of course, I still like the show). Dunham, of course, is the strongest point of the show, be it her writing, directing or acting. A delight from start to finish, but one that may not be sunny come awards night.

Edie Falco actually won this category for Nurse Jackie back in 2010, coincidentally also up against Tina Fey (for 30 Rock) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus (for New Adventures of Old Christine). Falco is certainly great on the show, and it's obvious that the Emmys like her still even now years after she won, but I don't think another win will be forthcoming in her future.

Tina Fey also won this award for 30 Rock one year, and the work on the show needs no introduction. Be it writing or acting on the show, Fey has shown us for seven spectacular seasons that 30 Rock is a force to be reckoned with. While I feel that she doesn't quite have enough to win again up against other behemoths on this list, I don't think it is that far-fetched that the possibility could still happen

But they all dwarf in comparison to Julia Louis-Dreyfus this year. Winning for Old Christine and Seinfeld before, she is the best part of Veep. While I find the show just to be good and not spectacular, Louis-Dreyfus continues to astonish on this show. Maybe it's me still loving her as Elaine Benes on Seinfeld or Christine Campbell on Old Christine, or it may the fact that she and the Emmys have this weird love affair, I think that she is the frontrunner in this content... and by far!

But alas, the most deserving in this category is Amy Poehler for Parks and Recreation. I am a big fan of her and of the show Parks and Rec. I think it's just such a great underrated show. No one keeps knocking it out of the park the way Poehler has for Parks and Rec episode after episode after episode. I look forward to the next episodes of the show with open arms, but always a bridesmaid, never a bride for her. Four nominations, and sadly four losses. So sad.

Will Win: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Should Win: Amy Poehler
Could Win: Poehler, Laura Dern or Tina Fey
Should Have Been Nominated: Zooey Deschanel (or Wendy Schaal for American Dad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment